Thursday, February 6, 2014

I'll Never Leave You (Unless You Don't Get In the Car)


It was a cold, windy, and dreary night. I was anxious to get in the car and get warm. I jumped in the passenger side and cranked up the heater. Tim was driving, and Ashley started to get in the back, but as we will see, she apparently decided to talk to one of her friends and closed the door as she walked off to say something. We left the church, on the way to get gas, and I started telling the kids about choir practice. “We're singing the song you like Ashley, the one we listened to all week on the new CD.” Silence from the backseat. I sigh, thinking she's pretending to be asleep. I continue a conversation with Tim as we get to the main highway. I finally ask Ashley about some clothes she was supposed to get from a friend that night. Silence. I look back, but can't see her because I think she is behind me. I see a lump, and think she is curled up, still pretending to sleep. Aggravated, I threaten to take her tablet away if she doesn't answer me. Silence. And everything explodes in my head, because I KNOW something is not right if she won't answer to that threat. I twist around and see that the lump is actually a pile of jackets. Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! I scream at Tim to go back, he has left my baby at church. By now we are at the 4-way stop of 10 and 5 and he's trying to figure out how to turn around legally. Now he wants to drive correctly??!! I make him spin the car around in the road and told him if the cops see us, they can follow us to church and deal with me, manic-mama. In my head, I see my baby, who in reality is ten and not a baby at all except to me, crying in the parking lot, crushed that we left her, thinking we won't come back, afraid, sobbing, terrified. Yes, I know, she's at church, the safest place I know, and there were people still there, and she'd be fine. I knew that in my head, but in my heart? In my heart I feel the pain of my baby girl, abandoned. Mama guilt is powerful.

When we finally make it back to church, after what felt like endless hours, although I suspect it was closer to two minutes, I find Ashley inside, along with several church members. Safe. Warm. Cared for. Loved. Did I mention safe? I could laugh at how ridiculous the situation was, and relieve all that built up stress. I could laugh when Ricky told me to take my phone off silent, he'd been trying to call me. Of course, the good church member I am, I had turned it off during church and choir practice. I never remember to turn it back on, they need to make a timer app for that. (Note to self: invent timer app for that and get rich, spend that money on tracking devices for my kids.) I could laugh, because it all turned out OK. And I could joke that I deserve the Mom-of-the-Year award. Hey, if Al Gore can win the Nobel Prize for his global warming work and President Obama can win the Nobel Peace Prize for.... um.....whatever it was, I should win an award of great honor for forgetting my child, right?

On the way home, as I was “explaining” to Tim that the driver is responsible for making sure everyone is in and buckled up, and I was “explaining” to Ashley that you don't start to get in, and then leave without telling anyone, and I was thanking God profusely for taking care of all of us, I couldn't help but think about how glad I am that He never misplaces us. He doesn't forget us somewhere, though it does feel like it sometimes. Ask the Israelites, stuck in slavery in Egypt for 400 years. Ask the man who's lost his job, the childless wife, the couple that fights constantly, the parent of the wayward child, the elderly person in the nursing home who no one visits and they just want to go home to Jesus. Sometimes it does feel like God has forgotten where we are and what we are going through. But He hasn't. I won't give you some pat answer for why people suffer. That's too deep for this devotion, but I will tell you with all certainty that God has not forsaken you, forgotten you, or overlooked you. I may have misplaced my Ashley for a short time, but God has not left you.

No comments:

Post a Comment